In 2008, a new brand of cosmetics hit the scene. A brand so fierce, so ferocious, and so fun, that it could only be worn by unicorns. Or at let’s that’s what CEO Doe Deere calls her loyal and substantial fan base, her unicorns. She created Lime Crime, a whimsical cosmetics brand that is all about feeling good, being happy, embracing femininity, and doing what’s right for you. The brand welcomes color with open arms and uses it to bring what’s inside out while turning conventional fashion wisdom upside down.
Deere says she wishes she had started her business earlier, and that the secret to her success is trusting her gut and testing all her products on herself first. Her brand stands true to a cruelty-free policy and never tests on animals. She even carries this philosophy into her business practice and says that she does not believe in “iron-fisted” rule but prefers a team spirit of growing, learning, and respect. Along with her husband, she has worked to make her cosmetics line and her world-at-my-fingertips fashion sense as unconventionally common as the woman herself.
Doe took 7 of the most common fashion rules and gave them a Lime Crime, love yourself makeover.
1. Bold eye and bold lip, at the same time? Yes, please! Her reason? Feed your heart with color. If it makes you happy, wear it.
2. Don’t mix too many colors. Deere says…Why Not? Her philosophy, mix and match as you please. Color coordination is the key. Pink and green, or peach and periwinkle, bold, but in a complementary way.
3. Patterns! Yes, you can mix them. Doe’s tip for beginners is to mix patterns or colors, not both. On the other hand, if you’re experienced, go all in sister!
4. Fun socks are great socks, wear them with open toed heels. She says ‘what’s the point if you can’t show them off.’
5. Rainbow hair does not mean funeral attire. Doe says keep carrying color throughout. With pastel hair, try softer colors. With deeper color, try more saturated tones in your wardrobe.
6. Don’t dress your age, dress your emotions. The Unicorn Queen says that just because you reach a certain age does not mean fun is off limits. Keep wearing what you love.
7. The special occasion is today if you want to wear it. Don’t hide your favorite pieces in the back of the closet waiting for the right time and place. Fashion is about you, so make it your own.